Adding documents that are available to find online to your online reading listis easy, but this may often require some editing.
1. Find the document and click Add to my bookmarks.
2. On the Manually add a new bookmark page, it will most likely, have the title of the document plus the web address where it is located. Often you will have to amend the title by removing the extraneous detail.
3. Add more detail to the record by adding the relevant fields. The most common fields you will enter will be Author, date, place of publication, etc. Select the field you want to add from the drop down menu and click Add.
4. Add the necessary information.
5. Select Create or Create and Add to list.
There may be times when you have all the information needed for a bookmark and want to create it manually. This will mean working entirely within the reading list system.
Before bookmarking, make sure that you are logged into the reading list system.
1. Navigate to readinglists.rhul.ac.uk and from there click on the ‘My Bookmarks’ button in the menu bar.
2. On your bookmarks page, click on the green ‘Add bookmark’ button, and from the resulting dropdown menu select the ‘Add manually’ option.
3. This will generate a blank bookmark for you to populate. If you have the ISBN for the item you’d like to add, the easiest way to do this is to use the lookup function. From the Lookup drop down menu, select the ‘ISBN’ option, then type the ISBN into the search box, and click the ‘Lookup’ button to the right-hand side of the search box.
4. This will populate as many fields as possible. However, should the ISBN not be recognised, or not pull through all the relevant information, you may want to add additional information yourself. To do this, use the ‘Add Field’ drop-down menu, and select the field you would like to add. Then click the ‘Add’ button next to the drop-down. This will add the desired field to the bookmark record, and allow you to fill in the relevant details.
5. When you’re happy with the information, click on the ‘Create’ button to finalise the bookmark.
The bookmark is then stored under your profile in the reading list system and you will be returned to the page you bookmarked from so you can continue to look items up and bookmark them.